1147 - First records of Castrum Estuphin
castle, built by the Hohenstaufens.
1192 - The castle becomes the Koenigsbourg
1462 - Destruction of the Habsburgs'
1479 - The castle is entrusted to the
Tiersteins, who rebuild and extend it. A modern defence system is
installed. This is the golden age of the Hohkoenigsbourg.
1633 - Siege, pillage and fire at the castle
during the Thirty Years War. The ruins are abandoned for two
hundred years, then classified as a historical monument in
1865 - The castle is acquired by the town of
1899 - Sélestat presents the castle's ruins
to Kaiser Wilhelm II, following the annexation of Alsace to Germany
1900-1908 - Wilhelm II appoints the architect
Bodo Ebhardt to oversee the complete restoration of the castle. The
work is carried out over 8 years.
1919 - Haut-Koenigsbourg becomes the property
of the French government and is awarded the status of National
1993 - The castle is entirely classified as a
historical monument and fully restored.
- Ownership of the Haut-Koenigsbourg castle is
transferred to the Bas-Rhin Departmental Council (European
Collectivity of Alsace since 1 January 2021) within the context of
the 13 August 2004 law relative to local government management
("libertés et responsabilités locales").
- 2008 - Haut-Koenigsbourg Castle celebrates the
centenary of its restoration.
- 2009 - Opening of an audiovisual
interpretation area dedicated to people with reduced mobility and
multiple disabilities. An investment of nearly 450,000 euros
enabled the installation and fitting out of this space.
- 2011 - €7.7 million is committed to bringing
the castle's technical installations up to standard. Start of a new
phase of works, scheduled over 3 years, included in the master plan
for the works.
- 2012 - Haut-Koenigsbourg castle receives the
Diploma of Merit and European Prestige of the Committee of Europe.
This prize rewards restoration, upgrading to standards and
accessibility to specific audiences and handicapped people. This
last action is doubly rewarded by the 2012 Women in Tourism
- 2014 - After 2 years of work, the keep is once
again accessible to the public.
- 2016 - Bruno Caro is made head of the