The speed with which the project was completed is largely due to the techniques used, which were very advanced for the early 20th century.
In 1901, a petrol-driven pumping station was built to supply running water for both machinery and drinking purposes. It is still in use today.
A quarry was opened up around 100 metres from the building site, at Oedenburg. A steam locomotive, called "Hilda" by the team of metal-workers that looked after it, was brought into service in January 1902.
It carried stone from the quarry up to the château. Thirty horses were needed to bring this 5 tonne locomotive from Sélestat railway station to the château du Haut-Koenigsbourg!
A stone crusher driven by a steam engine was used to produce the sand needed in construction work.
Two cranes were installed on the site in 1901. One of them was mounted on a track above the upper garden, the other was set up inside the keep. They were powered by electricity from 1902 onwards with the help of a mobile steam engine called a "locomobile". This technique also allowed the site to benefit from electrical lighting, something that the villages below the château would not have until after the First World War.